Proposed Changeling House Rules
Possible rule changes using the God-Machine Chronicle rules update.
Based on Integrity and using the same rules (Except as noted below):
- Cost should 2 Experience per dot (in line with other supernaturals).
- Low Clarity leads to Social penalties with ordinary mortals as one’s insanity bleeds through. At Clarity 6-5 you are a little off and tend to react in odd ways, -1 penalty. At Clarity 4-3 you often see or react to things that aren’t there, -2 penalty. At Clarity 2 you often mistake the people around you for someone else, -5 penalty, At Clarity 1 where you think are and with whom is almost divorced from reality, chance die.
- High Clarity enhances you perception of reality. At Clarity 8 or higher, gain a +2 bonus to Perception rolls.
- When one suffers a dramatic failure on a Breaking Point roll, lose a dot of Integrity and chose one Broken, Fetch (see below), Madness
- When fails a Breaking Point roll, lose a dot of Integrity and chose one condition: Shaken, Spooked
- When succeeds on a Breaking Point roll, chose one condition: Shaken, Spooked
- Option: Clarity is capped by the equation: Clarity + Wyrd = 10
When raising Wyrd you can sacrifice a dot of Clarity to reduce the cost by 2 Experience (minimum cost 0 Experience).
Possible option: Wyrd limits ones maximum Clarity by the equation: Clarity + Wyrd = 10
Possible Experience progressions:
- First dot is free with each additional dot costing 5 Experience.
- Wyrd is free but is rolled each time a new Contract or other glamour expenditure is used. A success grants another dot of Wyrd.
- First dot is free with the second and third dots costing 4 Experience. Under this plan Seeming and Kith cost 1 Experience each. Seeming is required at Wyrd 2 and Kith at Wyrd 3.
- Use the following chart. Under this plan Seeming and Kith cost 1 Experience each. Seeming is required at Wyrd 2 and Kith at Wyrd 3.
Seemings & Kiths
- Beast (Hunterheart): treat attacks as 0L weapon.
- Elemental (Manikin): Treat Artifice as an affinity Contract.
- Fairest (All): -2 dice to Clarity rolls
- Fairest (Dancer): gain dice to Dodge
- Ogre (Gristlegrinder): bite is treated as 1L weapon.
- Ogre (Stonebones): gain 1/2 Wyrd (rounded down) armor.
- Wizened (All): add twice Wyrd to Dodge.
- Hollow: uses the Safe Place rules. Size and Amenities aspects are dropped. Doors remain as is.
- Mantle/Goodwill: see Courts below.
Cost 2 (affinity) or 3 (non-affinity) Experience per dot. The first four dots are free.
- Mirror 4 (Oddbody): the natural weapon feature is treated as a 1L weapon.
- Elements 2 (Armor of the Elements’ Fury): Treat the element as a (Wyrd/2 round down)L weapon
- Element 5 (Become the Primal Foundation): Any armor is Wyrd/2 round down while damage is treated as a (Wyrd/2 round down)L weapon
- Stone 5 (Red rage of Terrible Revenge): Armor is 1 per two successes.
- Fleeting Spring 2 (Growth of Ivy): this can affect Aspirations and acting on this desire earns a beat.
- Fleeting Spring 5 (Waking the Inner Faerie): this imposes a condition where working towards your desire earns a beat.
- Fleeting Summer 2 (Goblin’s Malignance): this imposes a condition, acting on ones anger earns a beat.
- Fleeting Summer 3 (Friendless Tongue): this imposes a condition, acting on ones anger earns a beat.
- Fleeting Winter 4 (Fallow Field, Empty Harvest): this imposes a condition, failing a social roll due to this earns a beat.
Your character’s mental dissonance has interacted with the Wyrd to create a reflection of your character in the mortal world. It resembles your normal self and tries to take your place. This doppleganger uses the Fetch rules and works to subvert your character. As a reflection however if you are in the mortal world it will (typically) vanish.
Resolution: Regain a dot of Integrity, lose another dot of Integrity, or you kill your fetch (killing your fetch is a breaking point).
Beat: Whenever your fetch complicates your mortal life.
The courts do not make sense as a form of government. Several options exist:
- They are abolished. Their contracts become non-affinity contracts available to all Changelings without restrictions. Their rolls are modified to Attribute + Wyrd.
- They become philosophies and the rules remain as is.
- They are philosophies but we merge them into two courts (Seelie/Unseelie or Day/Night). Summer/Spring vs. Winter/Autumn
If abolished one might include some Guilds which have similar properties. The Guilds gain two affinity Contracts and a Guild Status merit. The merit grants a bonus at 1, 3, and 5 dots.